In this week’s blog, we have some tips on how you can save some money on your energy bills whilst still keeping your house warm this Winter. The days are shorter making morning darker and it’s just that extra bit harder to get out of bed on a morning. This can lead to the heating bill creeping up and we want to help you keep it as low as possible. We collected together some money saving tips that should help to save you some money on your energy bills.
- Curtains were made to be opened – Curtains and blinds play an important part of keeping light out but during the day you want to be throwing them open and letting all the light in. This will help to let more heat into the room. This is reversed during the night for keeping the heat in.
- Heating tactics – It’s often hard to keep away from the thermostat in Winter, there’s often high demand in your house to turn it up. What you can do to save money is to be tactical with the use of your heating. It doesn’t have to be =on all the time, most heating systems can be set on timers. This means that it can be nice and warm when you wake up in the morning and at night but not when it’s not needed during the day.
- Raised in a barn? – Make sure whenever you’re occupying a room that the door is closed. You might feel unsociable but not closing the door will result in heat staying where it’s needed.
- Insulation your home! – Insulating your home isn’t as expensive as you think. There are expensive options that you can invest in such as double or triple glazing and loft insulation but you can make a difference on a small budget. Filling in cracks in the wall with insulating foam or using draft excluders can be cheap solutions. Draft excluders come in all sorts of designs but you can purchase conventional ones that don’t replicate a multi-coloured snake.
- Do your research –Researching before you buy has become a trend in the past few years and this is no exception in the energy industry. Make sure you shop around for the best deals for heating your home, you’ll be surprised how much you can save just by putting in a few hours research on the weekend. With an army of comparison sites and help online, you can definitely save some pennies
- Layers – It might seem simple but make sure you’re making the most of all the clothes you have in your wardrobe. Make sure you’ve got those fluffy socks and knitted jumpers on. Sometimes this may mean putting your temperature over fashion.
- Give your radiators some space – Like a messy break up you need to give them space to breathe. Making sure radiators aren’t obstructed by furniture or other items allows for the heat to circulate around a room rather than getting trapped.